Friday, January 12, 2007

A long absence & more on module 2

I have been three and a half weeks away from my blog and NET11 and was a little nervous about coming back in as I feel so far behind - nothing for it, but to jump in again. Started by forgetting my password for my blog but now it's reset and I've written it down!
So, to Lists. Have had a look through the two links provided on webCT to explore some lists. Tried 'main groups page' for women's soccer (175 lists given), then herb gardening home. Liked the info provided on the 'contents' page, especially seeing how many people belonged to a list and rightly or wrongly this influenced whether I might look at the list archives. Saw a list relating to the Matildas but it was membership required. A lot of the initial lists that came up were USA-based. Don't know why. Herb gardening home came up with only 6 lists. Tried knitting on topica - quite a bit available. Overall though, each list I looked at seemed quite old and in some cases now inactive. Very little dating from 2006.
I've realised I do however belong to a list, though it was not something I actively chose to join - I belong to the NSW Teacher's Federation and am on its list. I get quite a bit of mail from them about campaigns general teaching issues. There is no member discussion, it is a one-way thing, simply for information. I chose to join the Federation and membership includes the list emails.
Back a notch though, also noticed some odd entries in my earlier searches, such as lists for surgical clubfoot, and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (!!) under my women's soccer browsing. How did they end up there? Must be something in the words they use that make them pop up on this list.

What are the pros and cons of email lists vs discussion boards?
Discussion boards allow the managing of different subjects or 'threads' such as on our course. As long as people use the threads correctly, it enhances use of the board. It's great being able to search for certain topics or authors on a discussion board, using the search tool.
Lists are hard to find in my experience! They also may or may not allow posting. They are good for sharing information to members, such as my Teacher's Federation list and I can unsubscribe at any time.

Are there certain kinds of communication or purposes more suited to one than another?
The example above of the NSWTF is an ideal use of a list - a large, active organisation with lots of busy members with whom it wants to share information. Also the discussion board for study is excellent - a community is formed all around the world and people can ask questions, get them answered or provide answers or comments.

No comments: