Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Module 2 - newsgroups

This part of the tasks has taken some time. I had never heard of newsgroups before. Got into it using Mozilla. It took an age to find something. Tried www.newzbot first including searching: gardening, teaching, desperate housewives, and the singer Pink (which came up with lots of unsavoury stuff!). Usually got the message that there were no articles in that newsgroup or that it did not allow posting.
I then tried www.usenet which was instantly easier. I went to discussion groups, and there found an Australian parenting forum know as 'kidspot'. It's very attractive, relevant, friendly and looks well run, so I think I'll stay with it even after NET11. My first post to it is below. It looks like a busy site and it took no time for my post to show up, so people can discuss things almost immediately - that is assuming things always post so quickly.
Still having some trouble getting my head around the differences between newsgroups, lists and discussion boards.

No comments: