Saturday, February 10, 2007

HTML tutorial complete!



Have finally finished the HTML tutorial in module 3. It seemed to go on forever, but I certainly learnt a lot. It would have been good to get it done in a few days straight as I found coming back to it after a few days it would take a wee while to feel at home with it again. The stangest thing about it was using Notepad, as I think I have mentioned below. There didn't seem to be any easy mechanism for switching between several open Notepad screens, you had to retype in the name each time. I may be wrong on this, but I didn't see any navigational feature if there was one. Found the splitting task at the end quite fiddly to do - certainly have to have an eye for detail. Paid to check the web version when you'd done coding as you could then quickly see any typos leading to something not making sense. Always needed to refer to my handwritten layout as file numbers grew.



So, at last, I have my linked and flowing series of web pages Volcanoes. It was satisfying watching it all come together. I now have to link the whole thing to my Presentations section on webCT. I did my own independent practice page called "Test" as I went along (see above). It's rather ugly but was good for trying out the new things learnt in the tutorial. The only thing I didn't do on my Test page was split it into several linked pages. This was because at the very end I "lost" the page. I know it's there somewhere but it wasn't coming up in Notepad. I may do this very last splitting activity or I may not. I will however load my page also onto Presentations.
Am so behind in the modules, but at least I can move on now. Really regret not getting underway quickly way back in December.

Was encouraged (and surprised) by a very good mark for my first assignment. Just need the final push now for the concepts essay and the ongoing module work.

No comments: